Spinning out of Control


Today I want to bitch about one of the newest fads my children have taken to like medieval leeches to a person with "the vapors". Spinners. Have you seen these things? They're fantastic. They're marketed under the guise of stress reducing tools. Nay, nay my friends. I don't know what they do for the stress level of the person spinning them, but let me assure you, they can ratchet my anxiety right through the roof. A couple of spins of those things in my car and I develop a nervous tic. Clearly these were invented, not by some well meaning person who works with people suffering from anxiety/ADHD. No. This was invented by someone who hates parents. Possibly teachers. I can't imagine they're too thrilled with these fantastic do hickies either. One of my sons mentioned they were banned in his school. The other one followed it up with "yeah, that's because someone used it like brass knuckles to hit another student." Gee. And for that they banned them? How "unfair and mean" to roughly quote #45.


Don't get me wrong. When used as they are actually intended, I can see a possible benefit for them. A targeted means of fidgeting, which then allows you to focus on the task at hand. I bought my daughter a fidget cube because it gives her a way to channel her anxiety in class so she can focus on the material being presented. I'm simply stating that my children have made an even better game out of some plastic and some ball bearings. It's called Drive Mom Batshit Crazy. Sadly, I fear it's not just a passing fad. For the sake of my sanity, I can only hope that these spinners are!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This, too, shall pass. Well, maybe not.

All the Better to See You With

What's a sit up?